Friday, January 29, 2010

Social Norms...

I am aware this is not a "must-read" blog, but I have enjoyed jotting down my ideas. I am a sociology major, we observe groups of people and analyze why people do certain things. I have been thinking of three examples:

Last night I went to a comedy club here in Provo. It was an improv night, they did some funny skits. . . not too hilarious; however, people were laughing their heads off. It made me think of why we do that, it has to be the setting we are in. If these guys were doing their skits in another setting, no one would really be laughing, probably if they were out of Provo.

Also, I work at a call center. We answer phones all day, help people with technical questions, since it is a direct selling company we talk to many of the same people everyday. However, for example today, we had a lady waiting in the cue for over 2 hours, for some reason it was the topic of conversation forever. Also the way we make fun of people that call in, whether they know it or not, just never would be funny outside of my job. Really I don't think it is funny at all... :)

Also, Provo... provo humor is not funny anywhere else....

Ok enough for my blabbering on and on....

2 comments:

  1. i think you're a must read. don't cut yourself short. :) and i love your wish list. i'm going to make one of those soon. you look beautiful and fabulous and i love that you're going to go to law school. you'll kick "bum-bum" (as we say in our 2-yr-old friendly house!)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete