Monday, March 28, 2011

Fruits of your Labors

Four years ago today, I entered the Provo MTC. Little did I know the impact my mission would have on me... all I knew is I was scared out of my mind to be learning spanish, eating crazy food and was terrified of getting sick. But now looking back, I had nothing to fear... I should have had more faith. There are so many experiences I could share from that 18 months but this one is one of the main ones that continues to impact me, testifying to me that TRULY as missionaries we are instruments in the Lord's hand, we just follow His will and we are lead to the chosen ones.
That is how my companion and I met Elmer Salguero.

We would cross the only highway to get to his house about 2 miles away from anyone else. We walked through a canal and some crazy jungle. He lived with 30 of his family members in houses made out of sticks and garbage sacks.
They would give us corn everyday for coming to give them follow up lessons from their previous baptism. I was stocked about this. Little did we know the day after this picture was taken we would go up to visit and a punk little kid would yell at us telling us he had read our "mormon book" and he wanted to be baptized.

We were shocked... so we taught him the lessons in a week and he was baptized by his cousin who was baptized 2 weeks prior.
He was so happy and ready. I left the area about 3 months after his baptism. Little did I know what would come of him.
I just got this picture in an email about 2 weeks ago. He is now on a mission in Rosario, Argentina. He is loving it. I know the Lord had prepared me to go on a mission and I know I was called there to help this young man so he can help the people of Argentina. It is crazy how little and insignificant you feel in the grand scheme of things, but I know being an instrument in the Lord's hands can help miracles happen.

I will only get sooo sentimental on you guys every year on the 28th... that and maybe Jan 15th ;)

2 comments:

  1. That is so awesome!!! Can you believe you prepared a missionary??? It's awesome to think of how many people will be introduced to the gospel because YOU taught and "baptized" this young man. Kudos to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome! I know you were an amazing missionary. I love stories like this.

    ReplyDelete